We are coming to the end of our series on Prayer. I hope many have been challenged, encouraged and spurred on to go deeper with God through prayer. Tim Keller talks about 12 touchstones of prayer in his book "Prayer: Experiencing Awe and Intimacy with God." Here is his helpful summary of them for your review and practice:
What is is
- Work - Prayer is a duty and discipline
- Word - Prayer is conversing with God
- Balance - Prayer is adoration, confession, thanks and supplication.
What it requires
- Grace - Prayer is "in Jesus' name," based on the gospel.
- Fear - Prayer is the heart engaged in loving awe.
- Helplessness - Prayer is accepting one's weakness and dependence.
What if gives
- Perspective - Prayer reorients your view towards God.
- Strength - Prayer is spiritual union with God.
- Spiritual Reality - Prayer seeks a heart sense of the presence of God.
Where it takes us
- Self-knowledge - Prayer requires and creates honesty and self-knowledge.
- Trust - Prayer requires and creates both restful trust and confident hope.
- Surrender - Prayer requires and creates surrender of the whole life in love to God.
Tim Keller, Prayer: Experiencing Awe and Intimacy with God, New York, NY, Dutton, 2014, 141.