SVBC Vision Story
In Fall 2021 the SVBC Leadership began to ask questions about our church. Where are we at as a church? Who is still with us? Who has left us? Who has joined us? Part of this reflection included reflection on a new vision. After several months struggling with this the Lord gave us Habakkuk 2:3: “For still the vision awaits its appointed time; it hastens to the end – it will not lie. If it seems slow, wait for it; it will surely come; it will not delay.”
We believe it came to us this past May 2022. When presented, all leadership endorsed it as workable, inspiring, memorable, and accessible. The statement is 3, two-word phrases.
Phrase #1: Loving God
- When we love God and pursue that love relationship with Him, it helps in every other area of our lives.
- Luke 10:27 says “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself.”
- We love God through our worship, our High View of His Word, teaching others about him and by engaging in Christian practices both individually and together. The vision statement invites us to ask about our passion for loving God. It invites us to think how our ministries could foster a deeper love for God.
Phrase #2: Changing Lives
- Doesn’t the Lord change lives? Yes – It is the Lord who ultimately changes hearts and lives. We depend on Him to do His life-changing ministry. Yet, we notice the Lord inviting the disciples to join Him. The Lord commissioned the disciples to carry out the ministry through the great commission. “Go into all the world and make disciples of every nation, baptizing them in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded. And surely, I am with you always to the end of the age.” By the Spirit’s power and enabling, you and I are commanded to go and make disciples. Through our ministry, God can change lives on His own and He works through others.
- This phrase invites us to reflect on our ongoing life change because of God. It also invites us to think how our ministries cooperate with God’s life changing purposes.
Phrase #3: Serving Community
- By the word community, we mean those outside and those inside this community of believers. We want to maintain and enhance our ministry within our community. Yet we also want to think and act on opportunities to serve those who are in our geographical community here in Woodlands and greater St. Albert.
- One of the most impactful ways you can grow in your relationship with God is through serving others. God changes our lives when we serve others. Our love for God grows when we join Him in serving others. One of the best ways to grow in your walk with God is by serving others.
So, this is our new vision statement:
Loving God • Changing Lives • Serving Community
May God empower and encourage us to live this out in current and new ways.
For a more detailed explanation on what we believe please click here. You will find a downloadable, full explanation of SVBC's Vision Story at the bottom of the page.